Google Website Translator Gadget

Friday 10 October 2014

Abigail's Quilt


I have decided to make a grown up quilt for Abi, she has some small quilts for now and I can always make something fun for her as she grows but I wanted to make something for her for later on in life. 
So this is what I've come up with so far. 
Remember the quilt I bought from Antique Textiles Company back in January.

This is the quilt I bought.


So I have used the centre for inspiration for the start of Abigail Rose's  quilt as it will be known. 

But instead of those shield's that I think are supposed to be hearts I'm going to make hexagons.
Here's my start.


This dogtooth edge was a bit of a challenge for me but i think its going to turn out ok. 

I've also started Susan Smiths, St Neots Band Sampler. This is really going to be a slow project and so far have made a start with the hexagons.


I bought this delicious box of fabrics from Petra Prins for the start of this project at the NEC in Birmingham back in August. Honestly I keep opening it and looking at them. It's like opening a box of chocolates but not being able to eat them . 

Lots of things on the go but that makes life interesting.
Finally Max is being christened this Sunday and this is what he will be wearing.



It's a family heirloom that has been worn by four generations of Emilys family going back to Emily's grandpa. 
It's entirely hand made with very tiny stitches. I have had to unstitch the sleeves a little so we can get Max's arms in it. Either they had their babies christened very early on back in the good old days or they were much smaller babies. 
It's absolutely beautiful and after will be carefully packed away and hopefully the next generation will want to use it. 

Till next time. 
Sue 


11 comments:

  1. oh your quilt is going to be amazing. love the start and you are so right opening that box of fabrics must be amazing, so pretty.
    also love all the red and white quilts in the window! I am still on a red and white quilt kick, I don't think I will ever tire of them so inspired still from the exhibit! aren't you?
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the heirloom you have started for Abi. The newest creation is going to be spectacular an the fabrics look perfect for it!
    Happy Christening- how special to have that piece from so far back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Sue, Both of your new projects are gorgeous, and will be such works of art. The christening gown is amazing, very special to have such a family treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a lovely idea to make a grown up quilt for Abi :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely projects! So funny, I saw the picture of your box of fabrics before I read the text and thought: 'that looks like a 'smuldoos' from Petra' and sure enough it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abigail's quilt is going to be beautiful. Love that sawtooth border and I think changing out the shields/hearts for hexagons is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a gorgeous gown for Max. Lucky Abi, pretty new quilt.
    sweet hexies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Third attempt at leaving a message. Gorgeous post. Lovely christening robe, lovely projects and I succumbed to that delicious box of fabrics too. You have made a great start to Abi's grown up quilt. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilts and adorable grandchildren you have on your blog Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So wonderful to keep those traditions alive. Can't wait to see Abi's finished quilt. It is beautiful so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The band sampler looks lovely! I am sure it will be fun working on that. Abigail's quilt will be wonderful, I love the colours you are using!

    ReplyDelete