Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Infinite Variety Red and White Quilts









Well I am back from New York after visiting the Red and White Exhibition.
If I am rambling we shall have to put that down to jet lag . I'm here posting  just  trying to keep myself awake before I take myself of to bed to get my body clock back in line!

We were there when the doors opened on Friday morning and the impact when you walk through those doors was just incredible- so incredible it moved me to tears. Am I mad or am I mad.
You really had to be there to appreciate what a fabulous way that THINC Design  displayed these quilts in circles ,  row upon row rising upwards.The circles dipicting women sitting in circles at quilting bee's
I can't tell you what a truly amazing, inspiring experience it was.

Over the coming weeks I will be posting some of my favorites - I say weeks as it turn out I have taken 365 pictures and their were 650 quilts. You could have one for every day of the year.

My (PIC) Sue and I also meet up with many new and old friends from around the world for dinner on Friday night. Bev organised the dinner and so if you read this Bev thank you so much for arranging it- It was a wonderful opportunity for us bloggers and non bloggers to get together and put faces to those blogging names.
I am not sure that The Russian Tea rooms knew what hit them with this multi cultural  array of women and a few husband's.
I expect lots of them will be posting their photo's over the coming weeks so you had better pop over and have a look at what they have to say and show.
Lori, Vicki and Jan,Linda, Mary and Jo.
The above were all at the dinner-We had so much fun-Quilt talk of course.
We also meet Kathie and Barb and am sure they will be posting photos soon.

Hope you enjoy the INFINITE VARIETY - Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts wherever you read about it.

Sue

16 comments:

  1. Sue, I am so sorry I couldn't make it to the Russian Tea Rooms to meet you. :( I, too, went to the show on Friday and found the show equally moving. It was so beautiful. I had to catch a train home, alas, so couldn't meet the bloggers (and non bloggers) I so wished I could meet. I did bump into Linda at the show so all was not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading every post I see about the fabulous red-and-white exhibit, soaking in all the obvious excitement the viewers experienced.
    Your list of bloggers you met took me by surprise. Many names are familiar blogging acquaintances. Such a wonderful occasion, seeing that exhibit and putting names and faces together.
    Special memories have been created this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just been talking to Bev on the phone. She got home safe and is recovering. We quilt together.
    She told me how she had met you and your friend Sue and that you all had a wonderful dinner on the Friday night.
    Everyone seems to have loved the Red & White show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy that we ran into you and Sue no blog! and was able to sit and chat for a bit.
    Of course not enough time as I am sure we could have talked all day! Wasn't it just an incredible experience? I am still in awe of what I saw. I went back yesterday and still have the same feeling of awe as I did on Sunday!
    I will be forever grateful to the Rose Family , Joanna for allowing her red and white collection to be shown and her husband for giving this gift of displaying them to her as well as to the city of New York so we could enjoy them too.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see your pictures - I didn't get to see the show in person, but I sure have enjoyed lots of pictures that others took. What a beautiful display.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue!
    It was soo wonderful so meet you and Sue on Saturday. I'm so grateful that we managed it. I wish we had had more time together, I think I'll cross the pond a spend in a little time in your adorable village and do a little gardening with you.....Oh, us Yankies, always inviting ourselves :)
    I'm glad you are home safe and sound, it was an incredible time her in NYC. I was back in yesterday to see it again with friends from Chicago. Whew...what fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How stunning! Glad you had such a good time - I thought I hadn't seen you about lately x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so thrilled for you Sue! The photos are great, and I am glad you explained the sewing circle bit. I have never seen such a creative method for displaying so many quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had a fabulous time! The quilts look so incredible the way they are displayed. How fun to meet so many fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue,
    How do you choose a favourite amongst such fabulous quilts. I am off to buy a bolt of red and white fabric tomorrow to start one of my own. I shall look forward to seeing what else you show on this amazing event. Hope the jet lag is wearing off.
    Love Shirley.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so enjoyed seeing your pictures, along with many others who like you were fortunate to get there and took such wonderful shots, I wish I could have gone there myself. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and these wonderful quilts with us stay at home quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic experience. I look forward to hearing all about it in Launceston tomorrow. Mal

    ReplyDelete
  13. What amazing pictures! I love the way the quilts are displayed, just fantastic :) I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love rhe quilts on the chairs, as if they are "speaking" to each other... Unbelievable! How did this all come about?!?,! Come to be? I mean, the exhibit. Great idea! Im so happy you had the opportunity to go. Thanks for sharing it with us. Im not online as often anymore, aure have enjoyed catching up on your lovely blog tonite. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue,
    What an amazing time you must have had, the red and white quilts and the way they were displayed are stunning.
    Will be back again soon for more pix.
    Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I could've gone to the Red & White Quilt Exhibit at the Folk Art Museum but I've been out of work for 2 plus years so I'm pinching pennies. It looks so amazing to see all of those quilts together.

    Can't wait to see more of your pictures. BTW, looked at your garden pics. My garden is still covered with fresh snow (8 inches on Friday) and more on the way--Sigh!

    ReplyDelete